1. Start your research
Take a look at the list of companies you can trade during the Game. Take the time to research prices, company announcements, charts, company details and dividends.
Simple research involves things such as reading financial newspapers, considering world events and watching how markets and the price of individual companies react.
The Company information page
enables you to search for in-depth price, company and trading information for listed companies.
A dividend may be something that you want to consider when you are choosing a company to invest in. To understand more about dividends you can watch this tutorial - What is a dividend?
3. Identify the winning sectors
- A sector is a group of companies that have the same business operations. As the economy moves through different cycles, certain sectors will profit more than others. You can find the ASX code and a description of each sector here.
- One way of finding good companies is to start by identifying the sectors that are performing well, to do this use the charting tool. Once you have located the winning sectors, check which companies in the Game belong to that sector by looking at the Company sectors list (CSV 5KB).
4. Set up your own watchlist
5. Develop a trading plan
6. Make your first trade
7. Monitor your portfolio
- It is important to keep up to date with recent company announcements. Watch out for impending takeovers, changing commodity prices, new products, or the possibility of the company expanding into new markets.